View Single Post
Old 07-22-2016, 09:52 AM   #8
Kayak_Bernie
Live Watersports ProStaff

De-Sal Plants

There are two major concerns when it comes to de-sal plants, first is the intake pipes, they suck in water which includes fish larva, some other small fish, planktonic plants and animals etc. and secondly is the affluent, which is hyper saline water. To mitigate impacts from the intake the de-sal operator is required to offset those impacts by creating habitat for spawning adult fish and growing larval fish. They are also responsible for monitoring their hyper saline affluent at the discharge point to ensure that it doesnt not have adverse effects on the ocean location. Overall I see it as a net positive activity, sure there are some drawbacks, but water is only going to get more and more scarce and de-sal plants and recycled water plants are the way of the future. PLUS the restoration of coastal wetlands means more habitat for baby fish, like seabass, and halibut and calico bass, more available suitable habitat is a great step in helping restore these fish stocks. We are not talking small pieces of land here, we are talking acres and acres of newly restored or created wetlands, and eel grass beds. If you have any more questions please don't hesitate to ask, wetland and coastal lagoon restoration is my favorite part of my job, so I love talking about it.
Cheers,
Bernie

Safety Director
Kayak_Bernie is offline   Reply With Quote