View Single Post
Old 04-06-2010, 04:16 PM   #7
mo2vation

So excellent.

I just sent my dive buddy over.

A couple of weekends ago we were diving off the Horizon at San Clemente island. We were seeing Soupfin sharks all day.

On one dive, at about 70 feet I saw two sharks come over my right shoulder and go by into this box canyon. The underwater topography at San Clemente is pretty rugged (see shots below I took on that trip.) I motion to her to come and see these two - as I knew it was a box canyon and they'd have to come out right by us.

We're on scooters, so we buzz over - and I look up and I see two GIANT WSB's and they turn and blast over us, about a foot over our heads at about a million miles per hour, just croaking up a storm.

I've done 1600 or 1700 dives, and I've never seen a WSB on open circuit. I've caught them (off a private boat, never a kayak) and seen free divers bring them up on dive boats and stuff. Never seen one on OC. I was pretty blown away to see two so close. I remember their huge broom tails going right over my head.

I just sent her here to see this vid - I told her "this is what we saw blast over us. When I took us to go see the sharks..."

She watched the vid. Her response:

wow o wow o WOW.

I don't fish and this was exciting.

'yak fisherfolk are bad a$$, no doubt.

Dat sea is so big and yo' boat iz soo small.... and the fish are HUGE.

Torqeedo motor? A little outboard on the back of the kayak? Paddle out and motor home with heavier boat and tired arms? How nice!

Looks addicting.

:-)

~C~

She loved it.

Excellent video. Thanks for posting it.

-Ken

Waking up on San Clemente does not suck.

Some of the topography along the island. Lots of knife-edge rocks and canyons like this.

Zooming Closer

mo2vation is offline   Reply With Quote