View Single Post
Old 06-09-2020, 07:00 AM   #5
TJones

Expecting the worse

Any idea what a fair price for a used PA 14 is going for? The bottom of the Kayak at the moment has barely any scratches at all. Half of its use has been out of harbors or boat ramps. Anyways, I have tried the Berleypro cover for a Totalscan transducer. Initially I did not think it was even gonna be necessary, but after I started seeing light scratches on the transducer, I installed the Berleypro cover. The first thing I noticed about the Berleypro mounting plate is that it actually changes the degree angle of the transducer and makes it sit even father away from the hull. This allows the transducer to protrude even more farther out. That is without the second shell of the cover even mounted. With the second half of the shell added, it is just way too much. The kayak is dragging even more on my flat trailer when loading and unloading. Within just a couple uses of the kayak, There is significant signs of wear on the BerleyPro cover. I could picture it wearing a complete hole through the cover with enough use. A product is supposed to make something better or improve it. I feel that the cover does not do this and uninstalled it. I would not recommend this particular product for my situation or model year of kayak.
As far as trying to utilize the newer transducer, I Know I will like the performance of it, but mounting it over the side will not work for me. I have tried this before on some of my other kayaks. On a Pro Angler, it probably will work fairly well off the back, but there is gonna be something significant that I will not like about it. Personally I think the Lowarnce Ready mounting plate has revolutionized kayak fishing. The mirage drive in its self has done that also, for that matter. I will probably stick with what I got right now. If your are utilizing any of the Gen 3 products with the total scan transducer, you probably have one of the most powerful combinations of fish finder at this price point. I actually liked the original gen 3, because it drew probably half the amps compared to a new unit. This may not be such a big thing on a boat, but on a kayak you will now need twice as big of a battery. Of course the new processor is probably 2-3 times faster than the first generation. So there are trade offs.
If you are going all out on a new boat with the top of line sonar equipment, I would highly recommend getting the Live unit with the 3 in 1. As you are probably well aware, they have some very good deals going on. You know what that means? Something bigger and better is shortly on its way. The is the nature of the beast. Personally I needed something for this season and Lowrance usually doesn't disappoint. Especially when paired up a no headaches mounting platform like the Hobie. Good luck with your decision. Hope this insight was helpful. Like I mentioned, check out Russell Marine products on Youtube. The video about the different transducers is pretty solid. Also the video about the head units. See you on the water. I apologize for the double posting above. I was on my iPad and it was doing its thing. LOL.

Last edited by TJones; 06-09-2020 at 07:07 AM.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote