View Single Post
Old 06-02-2015, 08:25 AM   #7
CheapPelican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleake View Post
Thanks for taking the time to post a picture. Would you recommend the food container over the hobie bait tank?
I do but they are not perfect either. The vittles vault in the picture is turned on its back, putting the molded in handles in a location where bait can run into it as well. The smaller vittles vaults handles are high enough to be above the water line but you don't have much room for larger macks/dines. If you go this route make it so you can disassemble the plumbing to the aerator so you can clear any obstructions.

The problem with the Hobie tanks is that bait likes to wedge itself between the wall and pump/overflow. I don't know about other models but mine uses nylock nuts on the inside of the tank to secure the rod holders and these bust up the noses of the bait. Also it can be a pain to clear the impeller if you suck something up.

One solution i found was to cut out the bottom of a plastic tote and drop it in the tank to act as a sleeve to shield bait from everything protuding. Worked great but you loose area for the bait to swim around in. Unfortunately I ended up dropping something on the sleeve and breaking it. Haven't been able to find the right size since.

This is the best bait tank solution.