View Single Post
Old 08-17-2018, 09:03 PM   #48
Apex Predator
pushpt.com

The ferry situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahigeer View Post
There are two ways to get a kayak to Catalina without crossing the channel with it, and specifically Avalon. Believe you me, I have done my homework.

One is on a barge which then requires a way to get the kayak from the landing to the city. Or put it on the water and go on water to where you want.

The other is to have an inflatable kayak (like I do) that fits in a carry case.

The Catalina Express has a tight schedule for boarding and de-boarding. They take bikes with additional fee, but handling a kayak is awkward. It will cause delays. The only phone number that I know of is for the ticket sales office, which most likely is off-site.

As to -----“they don't like folks bringing stuff to the island that would interfere with the rental business.”
I don’t buy it.
What about fishing gear, bait or food? There are also rental boats, but you can take your own boat there.

What about cruise ships that stop there, don’t they cut in the restaurant and hotel business?
Yeah now that I think about it, that was a long time ago and my grandfather knew someone that worked for the ferry, so they let me do it.

no one can prevent you bringing your own stuff,..... it's still America.

The cruise ships don't cut into Catalina's, they ARE Catalina's business.

Last edited by Apex Predator; 08-17-2018 at 09:42 PM.
Apex Predator is offline   Reply With Quote