View Single Post
Old 01-05-2012, 12:43 PM   #56
dos ballenas
Vampyroteuthis infernalis

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbaha View Post
I think it is funny that the MLPA uses the term "coastal pelagic" to refer to bait, because to me WSB is a coastal pelagic.

To your question as to why coastal pelagics are the only think allowed for take, my understanding is that the area was suppose to be a full SMR (zero take) and the Efferingham(sp) brothers said they need the area to make bait and your lot (the kayakers) fought hard to keep the right to make bait at the pier and canyon. And the game warden who parks at base of the pier or watches from the top of blacks knows the difference between a sardine and a yellowtail.
true... wsb should be reclassified realistically...

I knew why it was left open to catching bait....

It just doesn't make sense to me that you would allow big boats like Evingrahms to come in and purse seine a ton of sardines when you won't let a few recreational fishermen catch one or two yellowtail.

Yeah, I would hope the warden knows the difference between a yellowtail and mackerel up close.

But I doubt the warden would be able to tell from distance if you were catching bait, soaking bait, or hooked up to a big fish..... its pretty easy to hide a bendo if you try.

I have been less than a 1/4 mile from people that were bent on big yellowtail and I didnt even notice!

dos ballenas is offline   Reply With Quote