Thread: Patience
View Single Post
Old 04-03-2014, 09:29 AM   #33
GregAndrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by WildernessWanker View Post
It's amazing what kayaks are capable of when you push them. I took mine out in 4-6' surf to practice unloaded and was actually doing pretty well at getting through all the waves, with only getting wet as my outcome. Then show up at a beach to waves 3' and question launching my kayak with all my gear because I'm afraid of rolling. You want to find the fine line between over-estimating one's abilities and under-estimating the kayak's abilities. That's just my $0.02.

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk
There is definitely a difference between bare and loaded, just like between dry and just after taking on a lapful of water. You will require an extra stroke or two to get up to speed when loaded. But you will also have more inertia on your side for penetration. I agree that the risk factor does go up with lots more money on the line.

Another point that should be clarified is that "straight out" does not mean perpendicular to the shore, but to the swell direction. The most effective way to get through a wave or whitewater is by making your profile as small as possible. You accomplish this by hitting it square on. With multiple swell directions, sometimes you may have to steer back and forth between a couple or a few directions to keep your small profile. With short intervals it can be very tricky, or you may have to just pic the best (hopefully) happy medium.
GregAndrew is offline   Reply With Quote