Thread: Patience
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2014, 12:59 PM   #31
FISH11

I guess that's the difference with us non-Hobie kayakers. Since we use nothing but a paddle, we have more strength and confidence when paddling. Watching the video I kept saying to my self "Go Dude Go Go Go. The waves where coming in sets of 3s the frequency was definitely no fun since it was 3 to 5 second apart. When I've had to go out in that, I watch the timing. I go to knee deep water hold the kayak from the side next to the seat let a set pass the when the first 2 waves in the next set break, I jump on and start paddling as fast as I can (using deep powerful strokes). By the time you cross the first 2 they are like nothing and the 3rd is braking out in front, that allows you to go over with out much problem. I some cases you go over before it breaks. Yeah, Your going to get wet, but you get past them in no time. If I was in a Hobie I would have the drive in and the pedals aprt so the fins are against the hull, Once I was at or through the 3rd wave then I would start using the pedals as well. Shortly after you could stop using the hand paddle and worry about the rudder. The hand Paddle allows you to keep the Kayak aimed correctly at the on coming waves, the back current between waves makes the rudder useless. I seemed like there where several failed attempts due to the waves hitting at an angle and driving the Kayak backwards. I can't believe you kept at it for 45 minutes. You should get an award for that and for sharing you experience. That would make me super tired. I bet when you finally made it out, it gave you a large sense of accomplishment. Usually it's the landing that's the video moment.