View Single Post
Old 04-10-2020, 11:17 AM   #20
Salty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbl_91762 View Post
If there were any concerns, there have been hundreds of surfers in the water and NOT ONE has been reported to have gotten sick. Just saying.
You're still probably a thousand times more likely to get a staph infection while surfing than COVID. I guess this study shows it is POSSIBLE for the disease to survive at the surface in these conditions. But the probability of it happening has to be astronomically low. I mean, if someone with COVID hacks up a lung-nugget into a gutter that drains to a local surf break and it winds up in the lip of a wave as I'm going over the falls and get a nosefull of contaminated whitewater, then yeah, I probably now have COVID.

My takeaway is that the virus survives better outside our respiratory systems in wet environments. The air at the beach has more moisture. If someone with COVID is at the beach and you're standing downwind of them, the virus will probably travel much more than the recommended 6 feet. Same reason the virus spread so well in the wet markets in China I imagine. Whether I can get it on the water or not, I'm still gonna be extra cautious and not take unnecessary risks.

COVID DON'T SURF
Salty is offline   Reply With Quote