View Single Post
Old 09-19-2020, 08:42 AM   #19
socal.beach.bum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahigeer View Post
100 feet of rope is not an overkill, but with kayak it is much harder to pull the net than boats.
Thus, I would avoid areas deeper than 100 feet. A great help for kayak is Scotty pull arm.

There are kits available that comes with float, rope, bait cage, etc. Since the rope runs through the bullet shaped float, the weight or size of the net does not matter.
https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/prom...se-rigging-kit

Make sure your fishing license number is printed on the float. A reflective tape helps finding the floats in the dark with flashlight.

A powerful flashlight is a must. I forgot to mention it before.

An Ahi green chemical light stick is a good addition to the floats as well.

I learned this from Jim (Saba Slayer) at one of his seminars:
Drill a 3/4" hole long enough at the flat end of the float. The hole should be off-center and close to the edge of the float. Insert a 4 oz. torpedo sinker in the hole. Use a wine cork to plug the hole.
Next, in 180 degrees opposite of the hole location, and on the top of the float (the long way) drill a ½ “hole about 3-4” deep. This is where the Ahi Chemical light stick would sit.

The sinker acts as a ballast or keel on a boat. Thus, the light stick is always on top of the float and visible.

There are ways to keep the extra length of the rope from floating and grabbing boat propellers, but they too long to write about.
Great info thanks 👍
socal.beach.bum is offline   Reply With Quote