View Single Post
Old 08-20-2016, 08:36 AM   #18
taggermike

There's a fundamental difference between peddle and paddle yaks that I haven't heard mentioned before.

Hope I can explain it well enough. A paddled yak gets its propulsive force at the sides in alternating strokes. This causes the yak to 'snake wake'. A remedy for this is to make long narrow yaks that don't pivot left n right on their central point.

Ive used the extremes of paddle yaks. Cobra fish n dive at 13' x 36" to a 17' X 26" sit in side touring yak. The FnD tracks horribly as a good part of the paddle stroke drives the bow sideways as well as the boat forward. The touring yak drives forward and keeps a much straiter course.

A peddle yak has its propulsion at its mid line. This force is more constant as well. This puts the force in to forward motion and not in to moving the bow back and forth.

Ive used the extremes of peddle yaks as well. Hobie out back Vs Hobie adventure. I found they track the same; nice and straight. The 16' adventure did move faster for the same effort than the out back tho.

Sorry if this post got involved. My main point is that width is less critical to a peddle yaks performance than it is to a paddle yaks. Hope this helped. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote