View Single Post
Old 07-09-2020, 11:24 AM   #16
SoCalEDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by tak100 View Post
For a jig stick I would personally go with the heavier line. If the jigs are working the fish usually aren't line shy.

If you are worried about your joiner knot going thru the guides use a short leader, 4-5' that always stays out of the guides. You will be surprised how long a 100 yard spool of leader will last you!

I now use this technique even for fly lining bait. If it makes a difference I really have not noticed. Bait selection and movement seem much more important.

Tight lines.
Thanks for the tips. I will keep that in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyunk29 View Post
I bought the same rod last year and I like it a lot. We must have talked to the same salesman. When I went in there I wasn't even considering that rod but he turned me onto it and I don't regret the decision at all.
right on, this is reassuring. I am hoping to have time to spool it up and take it out this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iethinker View Post
Like I said...big swimbait rod...you will be happy with the lighter format...good choice. You will cast further and more times without fatigue.
More flex is better for casting and fighting fish on treble hook equipped jigs....all though yours is rated fast-action...the longer length just gives it a longer flex section....will accommodate single hook swim jigs as well. I use 2x-rod-length leader of 20-lb, 25-lb or 30-lb trilene big game over 30, 40 or 50-lb 4-strand braid depending on mood, target fish or kelp or lure weight. Always FG-Knot. Go lighter and cast further with less effort. Go lighter with less leader to get jigs to the bottom (rock fish) and retain sensitivity. I challenge you to tie some fresh 30-lb braid to 2x-rod length of a 20-lb leader and then tie the leader to something solid. With full leader deployed, pull against it in your yard or wherever just to set your reference...can you acheive full compression? Don't break your new rod...seriously. Then decide what line you want on your reel. Max for me is 30/50...unbreakable, cuts kelp, etc...but are you regularly fishing la Jolla?
Thanks for the information, and yea i think you nailed it in your first post. I like the idea of keeping the leader short (relatively,10-20') for sensativity I am just concerned about casting (mostly) straight braid. I will have to try it out and see how I like it. You bring up a good point tho, I wasn't considering the sensativity when using it for bottom fishing because right now I have set ups for that so it was going to be a secondary role for this rod, however, if i want to use this to fish deep swimbaits in a horizontal fashion now and again I could have an issue with a ton of mono on there.
2020 Hobie Outback SOLD
2021 Stealth Fisha 500
#StealthTribe
SoCalEDC is offline   Reply With Quote