View Single Post
Old 11-10-2014, 06:25 AM   #1
Bert Vega
Tail Chaser!

Fish Finder Selection

I am in the market for a new fish finder/gps. I have been looking around the internet and previous threads on this site. But I am still having a hard time pulling the trigger on a unit. Wanted to get the opinion of the board to help me make my mind up. I don't have any on water experience with the units I am looking at myself. But I know a few people that have the lowrance units and have seen them in action. But don't know anyone with the raymarine unit. So here we go

3. Lowrance elite 7 hdi - this is in last place right now. If I were to go with this unit it would be with 50/200 setup. From everything I have read the 50/200+445/800 doesn't fit in PA. Thought of just getting a separate 50/200 without DS. But that defeats the purpose of the unit. Has anyone got the transducer to fit and how is it performing?

2. Dragonfly 7 - Review and data on this unit is impressive. I only know one person who has seen the 5 unit. They did not give it a great review. Does anyone have the 7 or seen it in action. I like this chirp over the lowrance chirp. This is auto adjusting. The lowrance you have to pick chirp frequency and then adjust. I feel like I would be constantly adjusting between chirp signals and sensitivity

1. HDS7 Touch - A little more expensive then the other units. But when approaching the $1K mark it is not that big of a jump. This comes with standard 50/200. I know people and have seen this unit in action. It is impressive in all aspects. But even though it's not a big jump up in cost. It's still a jump.

So if I could get the monster transducer in PA. I would go with number one option. If not I am torn between 2&3. Slightly leaning toward option 3 (HDS).

What would you do?

Last edited by Bert Vega; 11-10-2014 at 06:34 AM.
Bert Vega is offline   Reply With Quote