Thread: avet sx
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2010, 11:17 AM   #10
lamb

I got mostly Avets, I'm lefty... Got MXLs, MXjs, SXs, LXs, single speed and two speeds. I didn't find them to be gumming up after every single trip on a kayak, but I had to do cleanup and greasing/oiling if I wanted to keep 'em running smooth. I have been taking them apart for a clean up and tune up maybe every few months, and that's with at least once (often two) times a week fishing schedule. Great thing about Avets - it's really easy! I always keep a stock of extra bearings (comes down to 2 sizes), replace 'em when they wear out, just oil 'em if in a good shape.

Another thing - in the past, I was always rinsing them with water. What I learned from D50 here on BWE (and what my laziness contributed to), latelyI have not been rinsing them with fresh water. It seems to make no difference - my Avets are fine for a few months! This is mostly using them on a skiff though.

Chris I think it's true that with newer models Avets seem to be better when it comes to how often you need to do the maintenance.