View Single Post
Old 08-14-2008, 06:47 PM   #14
dgax65
Guerro Grande

Quote:
Originally Posted by peguinpower View Post
Thanks for info. So this 121.5 Mhz EPIRB is a locating beacon. It won't trigger SAR but it will get them to find you. You'll still have to make a DISTRESS call and tell them you activated an EPIRB.

A second scenario is that you are already missing and being missed. At which point, the assumption is you dont have propulsion or VHF capability. When SAR goes out to try and find you they'll know you have an EPIRB and home in.

Not bad. I didnt expect to get AAA like service on the water. For 140, its seems to be a decent safety net.

/bing
After 01 February 2009, the 121.5MHz systems will no longer trigger a COSPAS/SARSAT satellite. The spectrum around 121.5MHz is too congested so these Class 1 and 2 EPIRBs are being phased out. The shift to 406MHz EPIRB started in 2000 and the FCC has restricted use of 121.5MHz EPIRB since last year. The 121.5MHz EPIRB are still used as crew man-overboard devices. They sell those Mini 300 locator beacons with handheld direction finding (DF) system for use on larger vessels. I think the CG boats and helos have DF equipment to home on the 121.5/243MHz beacons. A mayday call and a beacon will get a response.

All you ever wanted to know about EPIRB can be found at the USCG Navigation Center site:
http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/marcomms/gmdss/epirb.htm

I've wanted to get an EPIRB for several years, but have been too cheap to do so. I used to routinely paddle 3-5 miles out off of Pt. Loma. When I was out there I would think that having an EPIRB would be a good thing. Standing inside West Marine, looking at the ACR display, I would think that I have a better use for $600. Cheap ruled the daylol Now I don't get out enough to justify the cost. I have seen that USCG DF system in operation and I have conviced myself that I'm safe carrying 2 VHF radios.