Thread: Patience
View Single Post
Old 04-01-2014, 07:37 PM   #4
LawDog

I have launched all up and down the coast. The absolute number one thing is stay straight(keep your rudder up and manage the yak with good paddling. Nose straight ahead and paddle at as close to your 100% as possible while still able to maintain directional control. You can push through 4+ ft breakers if you do this. I'm not advocating you to take your yak up to tresses and launch but as long as you paddle THROUGH the breaks you will just get wet.

Again, I will say if your unsure, don't take the chance. There will be plenty of other days out there. In my opinion though, landing is soooo much dryer once you master it. Don't surf the waves in. Just paddle in slow and gigue a few back paddles as a wave is passing and it will go under you. Once you are inside the break you can just let the waves push you in. Use your paddle as a break only to maintain directional control. Once you are not powering your yak, just manage energy, don't add any(don't paddle). Takes some practice but I haven't flipped in at least 3 years and that was on a 10' yak.
LawDog is offline   Reply With Quote