View Single Post
Old 02-10-2014, 01:53 PM   #1
Lipripper92592

Solana Beach and South

Sunday Bert and I decided to try out the Solana Beach area, just south of the South of the Swamis SMCA boundary. Pelagic's can be kept in the Swamis SMCA, but to keep things simple we stayed south of the 33 00 00 line. We dropped sabiki's for bait, and it was wide open lizard fish at about 6 inches in 35' of water. After a couple dozen lizard fish I moved to a pocket next to the kelp bed and loaded up on 8-10" macs. Dropper looped one and dragged that close to the bottom and fly lined another on 60lb spectra with 30lb floro leader. After about 20 minutes the clicker on the fly line, bumps a few feet, then steady pull. I put the reel in gear and loaded up the rod, drag peeling for about 50 feet, then pop. After reeling in, it looks like the knot failed as the tip of the line looked like a pigs tail. Set up the fly line again with a new hook and mac and about an hour latter at the same mark, same deal, except this one stayed on for about a minute, let me announce "fish on" over the radio to Bert, then pop. This time the line was frayed and cut at about a 30 degree angle. I was thinking mako or thresher. When Bert hooked up, the same happened to him, all working the same area. Some fellow on the beach says he's hooked into the resident BSB that hangs out in the area, so who knows what it was. The weather was great and next time I'm out there I'll bring some wire leader....just incase. Picture of the South End of Swamis SMCA,Bert and 4.78nm of gps track.

If you see that mirage drive in the picture at the bottom in the surf zone......well, you know who the owner is, maybe a couple tackle boxes too!!
The landing was tricky!!
Attached Images

Last edited by Lipripper92592; 02-10-2014 at 03:01 PM.
Lipripper92592 is offline   Reply With Quote