View Single Post
Old 02-11-2016, 06:24 AM   #18
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. NiceGuy View Post
You can avoid the kelp and know your distance from the kelp by following depth contours.
Quote:
Originally Posted by acorad View Post
Mr. NG, can you explain this one? Is there a limit on how deep kelp will grow? Is there a benefit to knowing your distance from the kelp (and do you mean distance to the side of the kelp or vertical distance above the tops of the kelp?

Andy (YT noob as well)
Sure. The benefit to fishing close to the kelp is because that's often where fishing is better, but I don't want to be so close that I get tangled. Depending on tide, current and time of year, sometimes we can see the kelp line, sometimes not because it's under water. By using a map like this, I would be referring to the horizontal distance away from the boundary of the kelp jungle.

When I'm exploring unfamiliar territory I lay out my way points and target zones at home on my computer and with my Navionics iphone app.

I do this by studying various maps, google earth, and other information I find surfing around. I compile lots of notes and ideas to explore on various topics in my MSWord fishing files.

For example, look at the 80-100' depth contours on this map and how close they are to what parts of the kelp bed. Also look at the sandy areas from The Half down to the NW Corner compared to the rocky areas further to the north.

During the summer I was having better luck free-lining on the surface along the 30 fathom line. During this winter, I'm fishing in closer to the kelp along the bottom.

The free Navionics app makes following a pre-planned route exceedingly easy.

This is a cropped section of fishing map called "La Jolla to Point Loma" by Baja Directions, Inc www.bajadirections.com

You can also look through various detailed maps of other local areas at Dana Landing. They have the entire set. These maps contain a wealth of information for around $15 each.

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 02-11-2016 at 06:59 AM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote