View Single Post
Old 12-07-2015, 01:00 PM   #4
Mr. NiceGuy
Manic for Life

I like a surgeons loop too, for easily changing or removing a torpedo weight when my pole is out of the water so it's not knocking around.

From the weight loop, I run an 8" line of something like leftover 20-25# mono tied to a 3 way swivel at the end of my 65# braid. I like lighter line on my weight so I can break it off if I get stuck on something.

From the third swivel, I run out a fluorocarbon leader about the length of my pole. Personally, I like to use 25-35# Blackwater fluorocarbon shock leader for this purpose. It's a few dollars more, but I like the way it feels and performs. It stays straight and seems to be better in the nick and abrasion department. It's not an easy line to bite through. I've never had a knot failure.

That would be my heavy rig for bottom fishing in La Jolla.

---

I bought a leader spool of 40# P-Line fluorocarbon at Dana Landing. Two of my knots have cracked with that leader so I think I'm going to toss it. I don't know if 40# P-Line fluoro is an inferior product or if I got a bad batch. Not sure about that. They are the same knots I always use so I don't think it's my knots.

Last edited by Mr. NiceGuy; 12-07-2015 at 01:19 PM.
Mr. NiceGuy is offline   Reply With Quote