View Single Post
Old 04-23-2020, 12:33 PM   #12
ProfessorLongArms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saba Slayer View Post
This isn't a slam on Roman as he seems to try pretty hard and gives it his best...
I enjoyed the show with Kevin Nakada...only because he's a very good friend and he always gives up so much info...
But...what is the appeal of this show...the guy doesn't seem very knowledgeable of fishing techniques, important individuals in the fish biz or DFG info....
Is there something I'm missing or have I just happened to see the wrong shows...
LOL that first line reminds me of whenever someone starts a sentence with "I'm not (insert thing I'm probably about to embody), buuuuut"

I dunno... Sounds like a *biiiit* of a slam. Maybe a slap...

This is something I feel kind of strongly about, so since you asked

FWIW, it took me a while to warm up on his content. I've long been a big fan of the Noob Spearo, which is an Australian, almost a direct competitor to his spearing podcast with a lot of the same interviews in a pretty small community. Further, I'm kinda spoiled by Robert Field (Who I recently found out had only been fishing for 3 years when he decided to pick up a camera, btw) who's kinda hard to beat for depth/breadth of content and *amazing* production quality for a one man show.

I think you can add value in a lot of ways when creating content.

First of all, Roman's first love is spearfishing and he's grown into fishing with his content. His spearing podcast has been around for quite a while and was one of the first to be created dedicated to the sport. He's a pretty rock solid spearo, and also pretty dedicated spotty fisherman in the bay. This response is also speaking to his content as a whole and not just his call-in show.

1) I think there's a lot to be said for content that's shared from the perspective of someone *as* they learn, leveraging knowledge from those who know more than them and being a conduit of knowledge. I spend a lot of time trying to learn from others on the internet on some pretty hard to grasp things that I picked up late in life... Swimming, fishing, and spearfishing. While obviously it makes sense to learn from an expert, there's something comforting about community built around the premise of us all being where we're supposed to be in our own process.

While I damn sure went to an expert to get free-dive certified, there's something about commiserating with others who are still struggling to get past 20m, as opposed to someone who can tell you what it was like when they were there.

When I'm studying content to better my swim stroke, I often feel there's a disconnect when learning from someone who had the trajectory of an olympic swimmer when they were age 5 because I can't exactly relate to them.

Often it's a glossing over of details that matter immensely to someone who's struggling with something they didn't have to. I also think the spearing/fishing world can be a bit of a member-measuring contest sometimes, and I'm personally a bit desensitized to content that's just "check out this big fish I caught" even if it comes with a "here's how I did it". Say one thing about that guy, and he's said as much to me, if he has one driving motivator in making content, it's to learn.

2) Quality of content. I think the obvious trope on one end of the spectrum is the dude who uploads a 17 minute gopro video of them reeling in a yellowtail that we all fast forward to the end of.

I've also tried a handful of podcasts where the host didn't understand why he should refrain from, or perhaps edit out, the part where he coughs into his mic. I've turned off shows and never returned over that kind of stuff. Roman has a really solid talent in content production. He clearly knows his camera, how to edit, how to interview, and how to show up consistently with new ideas. I'm always supportive of anyone creating independent content in the outdoor sports world who really cares for their craft.

3) There's a lot to be said for building community with an intentionally welcoming vibe and careful moderation. That dude's building a community as much as he's making content.

Frankly, the fishing/spearfishing world in general can be kind of intimidating to approach. Sometimes this forum itself can be a glaring example of how you don't want to stick your head up lest it get chopped off. Exclusivity exists everywhere, but fishing can be a monoculture for sure. Between a culture of scarcity/alarmist/competitive secrecy, a bunch of angry keyboard warriors with short fuses that can't seem to figure out how to turn off their Caps Lock, and a general trope of dudes not being too nice. . . There's no wonder in my mind why a lot of online communities tend toward insular if not downright toxic.

I think the very thing you scratch your head about with Roman is what I find endearing about his program. I own just about every book I can find on saltwater fishing. I attend seminars and comb forums pretty voraciously. I somewhat recently accepted that depth of knowledge doesn't really help as much as I wish it would after a certain point. To me, instructional content is overrated, as is the "latest and greatest" in technology. I'm the kind of guy who gives the new iphone a couple of years, and there's not much to new technology that isn't usually a marginal improvement on something else.

Kevin was talking about that last night WRT stickbaits.... There are no secrets. You never really have confidence in a technique until it works for you *you*. Then all of the sudden, you can barely remember what it was like before you got it down.

Somehow I've never really had anything but hangups my whole life on a bucktail jig despite obvious evidence of them being a classic lure that works well for just about any species. . . I still frickin' hate 'em with passion.

Fishing is such a strong example of luck being a mix of preparation meeting opportunity.... Half the battle in that equation is sticking with it long enough to find that opportunity. I can tell you I end up sticking with most things that I care about because of the friends I make along the way. Kayak fishing can be especially unforgiving. My first trip out, I'd borrowed my dad's kayak, gotten up at 5 in the morning to launch, drove an hour, and got the ever-loving shit kicked out of me in the malibu surf. For a good 48 hours I'm pretty sure I'd quit the sport. Sometimes I'm much more interested in a supportive community and conversation than I am expertise. . . And if I need expertise, I'm sure there will be guests and people in the community who have it to share.... Or I can just go pick up a book. Or I can go figure it out for myself.

Anyway... you asked
ProfessorLongArms is offline   Reply With Quote