View Single Post
Old 10-26-2020, 10:28 PM   #203
FISH11

SOLO SKIFF in rough open water

Today I went out and launched my Solo Skiff at La Jolla and after making bait started trolling a live mac south. After getting down 3/4 of the way to the South La Jolla MLPA, the wind picks up and keeps getting stronger. It was blowing harder than the forecast had for a small window of higher wind gusts. Long story short, is that as can often be the case, the forecast was off. It got real nasty and provably as bad as I had been in one of my kayaks. The huge difference is I was dry and other than consistent rocking, I had no problem either drifting or trolling at engine idle. If I had decided to wear my waders and waterproof jacket, I could even have cut through most of the chop at even higher speed. The temperature drop in air and water didn't help the fishing and made it a little cold while only wearing my board shorts and sweatshirt. The sun being out helped. It was a blast getting airborne so often when going through the larger chop and swells. Best of all, I wasn't even tired when I landed, was still dry and running around La Jolla for 5-6 hours uses $2.05 of regular gas. The SOLO IS A STUD!............................................. ........... This is a 60 second video of highlights from some of the rough water crossing.