Thread: DP 1/25/20
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2020, 06:10 PM   #3
Salty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snags View Post
Thanks for the report. It's been a while since I've been to Dana Point. It's a great place to fish and explore even though its always been pretty hit or miss for me.

Maybe this week if the weather cooperates.

Just curious, how does the passport handle the swell and chop? Don't know if I'll ever give up the paddle but the price seems reasonable and it's lighter than most Hobies.

Cheers, Steve
Hey Steve! For the price, this is a great kayak. It handles the swell and chop really well. On Saturday, the swells were very big and a few times there was some boat wake rolling through at the same time a swell peaked and not once did I fee like I was going to roll. Every time I've been out since I got it, I've had the wind to my face for a big chunk of the way back with decent chop and crossed-up wake and refraction off the breakwater and I've always gotten back to the harbor nice and dry. I've never been on a bigger, wider kayak like an Outback or something in those conditions, but as far as I'm concerned this thing handles it no problem. I'd be curious to see what changes happens once I add my fishfinder/batter and eventually a full bait tank to it. Curious if the added weight will have me sitting much lower or at a weird angle or something. I'll definitely report back on that if it happens!
I will say if you are really looking to paddle it mostly instead of using peddles, it's a bit awkward to paddle since there really isn't anywhere to put your feet to brace yourself when the pedals are removed. Haven't done that very much and I haven't done a true beach launch yet, so maybe it'll just take some getting used to. That said, after using the peddles while fishing, I don't think I could ever go back to using just a paddle! It's just too damn convenient! Call me spoiled, I don't care lol
Salty is offline   Reply With Quote