View Single Post
Old 06-15-2019, 12:42 PM   #9
summers in kuwait

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvonkaenel View Post
Very nice post. I see you have pontoons on your kayak. I rolled my Hobie Compass the other day outside of Dana Point harbor. Lost a $300 Avet. After that experience I am thinking about the pontoons. Do you like them and do you feel they really make a difference? Thanks for any feed back.
Sorry to hear about the Avet . Its not a bad idea to consider having leashes on all your gear, even if you're not just launching and landing.

I do have the pontoons or as hobie calls them "sidekick ama kit" I do like them and they will help to stabilize the kayak noticeably.
I have the Revo 16 which is the narrowest kayak that hobie makes. The width is 27.5˝. But I am very comfortable with a skinny boat (You can learn balance, but you can't make a big kayak fast) and I only use them when I'm sailing. I have sailed without, but if a large gust hits and I am not paying attention or have the main sheet tacked down, things can interesting, especially with all my gear out.

I mounted mine in the front to act like a trimaran and it works very well for sailing and Im fine when I fish like that, but not the best location if you're only using them when fishing. I would recommend mounting in the rear. They have three positions: high, mid and low so you can adjust your stability and minimize the drag in the water. They are also pretty easy to mount, store and blow up easy by mouth. I would suggest if you consider them to also look at through mounting options versus the included wellnuts. Plenty of resources on the hobie forum.

Good luck and cheers!

Last edited by summers in kuwait; 06-15-2019 at 05:27 PM.
summers in kuwait is offline   Reply With Quote