View Single Post
Old 08-06-2019, 04:29 PM   #13
ProfessorLongArms

Quote:
Originally Posted by rackhenry View Post
Just checked out the 2019 outback, seems like a nice platform.
*Just* talking about a place like Malibu I'll say this:

I'm in a 2017 Outback and I love it.
They're crazy stable and it's hard to beat peddling around, especially when current picks up. QoL is most noticeable when you're drift fishing in current. You don't have to put your rod down to move to, or stay on a spot. Those are huge.

I've posted this before, but I find the launch/landing to be way less forgiving than something longer/narrower/lighter like a Trident. Less stable to be sure.

Learning to launch/land is usually best done by tagging along with someone who's more experienced than you. It's the best way to learn to watch and read sets.

You'll eventually mis-time one and you'll pay for it
Everyone I've gone out with has done it at least once.

When launching that means you'll have to power through and take one in the face. If you don't have enough momentum you'll be pushed back or even worse turned sideways and rolled. When you're standing on the beach with an outback, fully loaded with gear, wearing your life vest, watching the sets, it is a surprising amount of weight. I'm always winded and full of adrenaline by the time I am through the surf zone, and 50/50 on seeing spots. I'd like to think I'm in decent shape.

When landing that means you'll have to be ready to ride and brace, or get turned over as well. I've never tried backing in, though I've seen others do it with pretty good success.

Most important strategy is just having everything secured. No rods sticking up. I have a couple of big velcro straps I made for my outback specifically so I can lash and strap my rods down. No gaff loose. Everything stowed and watertight. Especially your reels. Sand in the surf gets in your reels and never comes out.

Every 3-5 landings I roll, but it's just a matter of ducking under the kayak, grabbing it before the next wave hits, and pulling it up on shore. Having my stuff stowed is the difference between a quick recovery and an absolute mess.

I digress....

If you're shopping around for a kayak to replace your PA, I'd recommend going to a dealer who has a ton of options and renting for the day. Before I bought my outback, I did that at OEX and Andy was awesome about it. He put a few on the beach for me and let me putt around in the canals.

I think your biggest question to ask is what you're looking to target and how you like to fish. Bay vs open water. Long range vs shallows etc.

A longer/leaner ride is way more forgiving in the surf zone, but way less stable once you're out there. An outback is a pretty good compromise IMO, esp if you're interested in covering a good bit of ground with decent speed, not worrying too much about stability, etc.
ProfessorLongArms is offline   Reply With Quote