View Single Post
Old 04-02-2015, 01:02 PM   #6
ful-rac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyD View Post
Thanks, but I have experience in kayaks. I have been kayaking for at least 20 years. I am a former Recon Marine, so launching and landing a small boat in heavy surf is not something new to me. I am seeking advice on which rod and reel to purchase.

Rod and reel right...there is no right rod and reel for everyone. There are so many different options available I'm sure you know that already. You should buy a rod that fits your personal style of fishing...Star drag or Lever drag..? Do you prefer to fish heavy medium or light, whatever you choose they should get the job done.

Reels, Avets are nice, they hold up to the saltwater very well and are reasonably priced, for yellowtail an MX or MXJ, LX should be good choices. The new shimano toriums in sizes of 16, 20 are excellent reels, or if you want to spend the big bucks the trinidads are even better....and plenty more..

Rods anything from BIG 5 rods to Calstar, Seeker, GLoomis, the shimano rods will get the job done as well.

I personally use a Calstar 800m with an Avet MXJ 6/4, Now is this the right setup for you??? Maybe...Maybe not. You might like a shorter rod...or maybe even a longer rod, Maybe a stiffer rod or a softer rod, Bigger reel or small reel...you'll have to find out.