View Single Post
Old 07-08-2020, 11:26 AM   #14
tyunk29
Junior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalEDC View Post
quick update. Went rod shopping on Saturday, but Turners was closed. Ended up at Bass Pro Shop. Rod selection was pretty slim which surprised me. about a month ago I was there looking at gear and they had a ton of rods in stock. I found an Okuma mixed in with the Shimanos that caught my eye, after having the sales guy pull on the tips (hey now) of a few rods I decided to go with the Okuma Guide Select swim bait rod 7'-11" XH (15-40#, 2-10oz. lure). Its a little lighter than I had in mind but it felt great in hand, balance was nice, and the salesman mounted one of the display MXJ reels on it since thats what I am going to stack it with. Its a little more parabolic than I had in mind but that should help if I want to use it for big rockfish swim baits too I suppose. Over all I am pretty stoked.

My reel is brand new and its been sitting around waiting for a home for a while so I've yet to put any line on it. I plan to spool it with 65# jbraid (4 carrier) and 30-40# mono top shot (75-100 yds), likely berkley trilene because thats what I have spools of. An alberto with the 30 may pass through the guides just a little easier than the 40#, but the 40# is obvi gonna give me a little more juice.

I would love to hear any thoughts on 30# vs 40# for the top shot.

I bought the same rod last year and I like it a lot. We must have talked to the same salesman. When I went in there I wasn't even considering that rod but he turned me onto it and I don't regret the decision at all.
tyunk29 is offline   Reply With Quote