View Single Post
Old 08-13-2016, 04:56 PM   #1
Harry Hill

Dead day in Mission Bay

My wife and I hit the bay a little after 7 and headed straight to the channel. I trolled over with no action. The channel was just as dead, my fish finder died so I was fishing blind but even the sabiki couldn't produce anything. Laura drifted some squid and I cast swim baits and kept the sabiki in the water tipped with squid. I had one strike on the swim bait but what ever it was just grabbed the tail and held onto it. It eventually let go without getting hooked. I talked with a lot of fishermen in kayaks and no one had anything, one guy bought a kayak scoop of anchovies for $20 and didn't get a bite and was heading home. Laura almost got swamped by a boater who passed real close from behind pushing a huge wake, she has a sit in kayak and had to pump water out. It seems no one knows what a no wake zone is or 5mph. Lots of boats pushing big wakes and getting close. I almost got hit by a lifeguard boat doing about 50 in the channel, those guys should know better. They had a lot of room to go around me but chose to go past fast.