View Single Post
Old 03-25-2024, 02:15 PM   #2
JohnMckroidJr

Greetings Pinhead,

I started using GoPro's in 2014 and own every flagship model. I have not been satisfied with the knock off versions that I have tried.

Being a cheapy, For kayak use, the GoPro #7 Black has everything you need. I would not spring for an advanced model unless you have a powerful computer and want to dabble with hi-res slow motion. I don't like the 8 because it is less interchangable, and the 9 is slow. 10-12 are larger, have slightly better stabilization, and are very similar.

I am not a youtuber, so maybe some of the guys who are will recommend the newer models for the advanced stabilization, but to me it does not seem necessary.

A camera boom can be made out of PVC piping and a $20 selfie stick. If you don't want to make something, the Railblazer camera boom works well.
When I am landing a fish, I usually run 4K/60 and make still photos from the video. You can get by with 1080/30 but 4k/60 sometimes catches a nicer photo that allows closer cropping without compromising resolution.

I would paint the PVC or shrink wrap electric covering over it to prevent sun exposure from making it brittle.

Electric shrink wrap cover is cheap at harbor freight. Used Go Pros are readily available in pawn shops and on Offerup, Mercari or FB market Place. Try to find one that includes a quality micro SD card, lots of counterfieit on ebay, so buy on Amazon for easy returns. Check GoPro site to see which ones work, if you have a cheap sd card, it won't record well.

Good luck
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote