View Single Post
Old 05-02-2016, 11:50 AM   #18
Kayak_Bernie
Live Watersports ProStaff

Why do I do it....

I have a few favorite quotes about fishing (which I'll post at the end of this) but basically fishing to me is about both disconnecting and connecting, its about forgetting and remembering, its about calm and chaos. Fishing to me is dichotomous, it has always serves two distinct purposes, one is relaxation and mindfulness , a connection with my inner self. Fishing also engages my need for adventure and a challenge. There are few places on this planet like a calm lake or ocean to soothe a tumultuous mind. There are also few places like a tumultuous ocean or lake to help focus the mind. Thats why I love fishing off my SUP or kayak so much, you are just that much closer to the things that bring you joy, excitement and contentment. I LOVE catching fish, that adrenaline hit when you feel the fish take the bait, the expectation of finding out just what is on the other end, and the pride and accomplishment you feel when hauling the beast out of the water. To me nothing compares to that, it is pure awesomeness. It makes me feel equally as good to bring home a fish to feed my friends and family, as to take a picture and release a fish (the story and the memory are my trophy)

Therein lies the dichotomy of fishing... I could have an awesome day out on the water and not catch a fish. This is why I love SUP/Kayak fishing so much it is therapeutic and relaxing. All that matters in that moment is the paddle meeting the water, or the feel of the lure bumping along the bottom, the sound of the waves crashing in the distance. Those moments allow the hustle and bustle of everyday life to slip away, it allows the deadlines and the pressure to fall to the wayside. All that matters is the here and now, a floating meditation on the oneness with nature. Some of the finest days fishing I have comeback to the shore without a fish in the bag, but a heart and a mind filled with peace and contentment.

Fishing is a lot like a form of meditation to me, but even better. Typical meditation sessions are very seldom interrupted, by a screaming drag, or a big hit on the swimbait. This is why I fish...

Few of my favorite quotes about why we fish:

"Fishing provides time to think, and reason not to. If you have the virtue of patience, an hour or two of casting alone is plenty of time to review all you've learned about the grand themes of life. It's time enough to realize that every generalization stands opposed by a mosaic of exceptions, and that the biggest truths are few indeed. Meanwhile, you feel the wind shift and the temperature change. You might simply decide to be present, and observe a few facts about the drifting cloudsFishing in a place is a meditation on the rhythm of a tide, a season, the arc of a year, and the seasons of life... I fish to scratch the surface of those mysteries, for nearness to the beautiful, and to reassure myself the world remains. I fish to wash off some of my grief for the peace we so squander. I fish to dip into that great and awesome pool of power that propels these epic migrations. I fish to feel- and steal- a little of that energy." -- Carl Safina

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I still get to kill something" --Ron Swanson

Safety Director
Kayak_Bernie is offline   Reply With Quote