View Single Post
Old 01-02-2009, 09:43 PM   #10
Grego

I guess I was "lucky" since my bro wouldn't take me LMB fishing until I could use a baitcasting reel, so I was forced to learn in elementary school. I think it was one of those Daiwa Millionaire 4h blue things.

Anyhoo, I had to be able to cast different weights and place them in a general area in my mom's backyard. The way I learned was with heavy stuff first (2oz or so sinker) and then eventually after months of practice I could cast a couple wooden clothes pin a good 25 feet or so, accurately. The heavier it is, the easier it is to cast. I recommend going to a park or a school grassy playground since you have more strength than a school kid like I was. Ideally, go where there is water to toss into.

You need to adjust the cast control system (knob) to the weight you're casting, otherwise you'll increase the chance of backlash. If you stick your weight on the line, hold your rod straight out and parallel to the ground. Now hit your clutch bar and the weight will drop. Tighten or loosen the cast control until the weight drops at a nice steady speed, the slower it drops the less distance you will get when you cast, but the less likely you'll get a backlash.

When you first start out, you should tighten it so it drops rather slowly. As you get more experience and smooth out your casting speed you can adjust it so it drops a little faster. It takes practice to know how much strength to use in your arms/wrist, how far down the weight will be from the tip of the rod before you start your cast, when to release your thumb off the spool, getting the feel to start thumbing the spool as the weight starts to drop to slow it down so your not overcasting, and when to ultimately stop the cast. Don't forget to pinch the line a little as you're reeling in the line if you're on dry land. There's no resistance and so when you start reeling it in the line will come on loose and subsequently increase chances of backlash.

Off a kayak you can use a overhead or sidewarm cast, but if you fish off the party boats you'll need to practice casting underhand also. After learning the bait cast reel, then you need to learn the conventional reel and learn to guide the line back evenly onto the spool. When your confident enough to cast in the dark by listening to your spool wind down and then easing on some thumb pressure, you're a jedi! I still can't do that.

Also, some reels have cast control mechanisms built into them. Read your manual and adjust them as needed.
Grego is offline   Reply With Quote