Thread: Pro angler?
View Single Post
Old 04-27-2010, 05:12 PM   #12
-scallywag-
Banned

stand-up yellows ??? on the carolina rig??

Ok, that pic got me thinkin bout the good ol' days....I've never peddled the prangler, but I did spend over a year fishing LJ in it's older sibling, the outfitter tandum. The outfitter is only 34"'s wide and 79lbs but is still a beast when compared to the single seat yaks out there and it's similar in size to the prangler. Size has its advantages, and disadvanteges.

+'s :
Stability - sight fishing YT, stand up casts, taking a leak, taking naps/overnighters, exc...

Capacity - lots gear, coolers, camping gear, hoop nets, surfboards?, passengers? exc....

Hull design - this was my major peev with the outfitter, hull splash/slap, but on the prangler the bow design is much more vertical and I'm sure much quieter, especially in rougher conditions.

-'s :
Weight - moving more weight = more work. Less speed, less range, tired legs, and excessive miragedrive wear. Then you have the loading, unloading, storage, mothership trips? exc...

High profile - This was another peev I had with the outfitter, it was like a sail in the wind, and the prangler looks worse (although a drouge or drift chute could be used). although the higher bow would probably keep my sunglass's from getting splashed (another peev) and lower my agrivation level in those conditions.

Hull design - The prangler hull design behind the bow does have me a little skeptical as it appears to be very similar to the 1st gen outback hulls which has the same rounded egg shape that lacked a defined keel and did not track well (or, at all) without the rudder down. This made heavier surf landings very difficult.

Cockpit - I'm also a little scared of the volume of water the cockpit could hold after taking a good wave or whitewater over the bow while launching. Now, I know they have scuppers plus the drive hole but so does the outfitter and even when the cockpit on the outfitter (which does not hold much water compared to the prangler) gets filled by a wave it takes 3-5seconds to drain out, during that time the yak is sluggish and responds very slowly...this can make getting thru 5-8sec interval wind swell a pain.

Conclusion : Stand up fishing is the shiznit!!! and the prangler is a super sick platform for that style of fishing. Its a "fair weather" boat great for fishing the bays and lakes (LJ is a lake 90% of the time) exc... but IMO if your serious about fishing in the ocean (wind, waves, current, chop exc.) and targeting pelagics and can only own one yak, then the light weight, sleek and efficient design of the more traditional kayaks would be your best bet. If I didn't already have the outfitters and I could get it inside my house, I would have a prangler in my quiver....but I already have a fully rigged standup fishing machine ready to go and I still fish the revo 90% of the time....
The true test is coming though, if Josh has both the Revo and Prangler in his quiver which will get the most use??
-scallywag- is offline   Reply With Quote