View Single Post
Old 06-07-2013, 08:15 AM   #33
Jimmyz123

Quote:
Originally Posted by dorado50 View Post
TRY COMMON SENSE FIRST>>>>>>>>>

Best statement of all. Because there are so many new Kayak fishermen out there that may or may not have ever fished from a regular boat or whatever Common Sense is the best tool. If you are paddling around and you see a fellow Kayaker assume they have a bait out either trolling or fly line and keep your distance. There are a lot of boaters out there that will look out for others, and then there are those that just bought their boat and don't know squat about rules of the water. Carry a radio, cell phone, whistle, horn, or whatever you need to feel safe. Like others have said prepair for them to not see you.

When I got into this I asked the question of what's a safe distance to stay off a fellow Kayaker. I was told to imagine about 50 feet of line being out and double that. Also what Andy stated about casting the irons.

Last year I had a boater throtle up and haul off and in doing so sucked my line up. Fortunately it did not spool me, but I yelled at him, he stopped, apologized, and went on. It's not always that pleasant out there. It's almost like those Surfers that get mad at you for surfing their break, it's a big ocean, I'm sure we can figure out how to give each other space.

Common Sense, use it, It could make for a better time on the water.

God Bless,
JimmyZ

Jimmyz123 is offline   Reply With Quote