View Single Post
Old 03-30-2013, 11:01 AM   #1
tomahawk

Sealing stealth 14 hatches

My stealth 14 gets water in both main hull and the "storage comparment" next to the bait tank. For the storage compartment it is obviously from the hatch (no other way in). Which part of the hatch is unclear. It could be leaking where the hatch attaches to the kayak or where the hatch opens and closes. Any ideas? I am thinking of drilling out all the rivet and using marine goop between the hatch and kayak. The hatch itself is more of a mystery on how I would improve that. The main hull potentially has the the hatch next to the bait tank, the rod holders, and gator hatch in addition to the obvious, hull leaks. Same fixes could apply to the hatch and rod holders. There are no obvious holes in the hull, if the hull is leaking I would guess it woulld be a one of the scuppers. For a figure of merit, I was out 5 hours last week in LB harbor, no real swell, didn't get swamped by a wake, just some wind chop. I had about a small dixie cup worth of water in the storage compartment and about a gallon in main hull. I have heard people on this site talk about filling the kayak with water to check for leaks but the engineer in me is saying that is a bad idea.
Thanks for reading and any responses,
Tom
tomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote