View Single Post
Old 04-03-2015, 09:32 AM   #12
taggermike

You're right, Live bait, yo-yo, and light iron are the 3 main YT techniques around here.

You have a good start with the rod and reel you currently have. The trini on the waxwing rod should cover your surface iron well. Yo-yo iron tends to be a winter time style so maybe focus on bait rod for now.

For a bait reel, I prefer a lever drag cause I'm usually slow trolling mackerel and the lever drag lets me adjust the spool tension so I don't have to listen to the clicker chirping every time the mack gets nervous. Avets are very popular, I use an old Shimano TLD 15 and like it. Line capacity is often over rated, particularly when you factor in braid. I put 250 yards of 65 braid in the TLD 15 and its maybe 2/3 full. Seriously, are you every going to fish 500 feet of water or have a fish around here rip out a 600 foot run. Even if you do hook a big thresher, with a decent drag it will just tow you along on a "LJ sleigh ride". Braid is good to have. It allows you to change leader weights easily and braid will definitely help you cut fish out of kelp.

For a bait rod you need it only long enough to pass around the bow of the kayak. Any longer just gives up leverage. Too many brands to discuss but most YT bait fishing is not finesse so a 6-7 foot rod that can fish 30 or 40lbs is about right. Glass and graphite both work well. Price is up to you, a $60 ugly stick tiger or $400 Super seeker will both kill fish. I fight fish much differently than most but I find rods with a shorter distance from reel to butt lets me keep the reel closer to me and my center of gravity.

Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote