View Single Post
Old 08-19-2013, 08:22 AM   #17
taggermike

Except for maybe sharks, Halibut are about the most anxiety inducing fish to gaff that we have around here. Some times they just lay there, get gaffed, and go in the hatch with out a flip, other times you get what you got. A captain I really respect, Capt Ron Baker, said to always gaff em deep in the guts. Don't rush your gaff shot. Keep their heads in the water and try to lay them out. They are very difficult to gaff when they are hanging vertically. Make your first gaff shot count cause they will go ape and bolt for the bottom if you blow it. when they're on the gaff put your rod in the holder with a light drag or free spool with clicker on. If the freaks and gets off you still have a chance to recover it. With the fish on the gaff and now 2 hands free is the time to use your clip. In your case, clip less, things can get more interesting. Maybe drag it straight in to the hatch, but it's about impossible to get the hatch open holding the fish. Some thing that has worked for me is to pull the fish across your shins, swing your legs over the fish, lean our weight forward, and try to pin the fish down with your legs. This is not ideal but it's what I got. Or just keep your game clip attached to a leash. You'll get em next time. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote