View Single Post
Old 07-25-2014, 07:34 AM   #19
taggermike

Keep swinging and you'll hit a home run soon. I've been fishing LJ for 40 years, 15 from a kayak and its kinda lame to say, but La Jolla is a great place to not catch fish. Every trip there is a learning opportunity, plus there's a chance to see some thing amazing.

The tarpon series looks a bit like my prowler 15, and the prowler is a very poor surfing kayak. Coming in back wards has worked. If you can time it right coming in on the back of the last wave in a set is good too. My preferred landing technique is to take advantage of a long fast boat; get your gear secured, gather your chi, wait for a bit of a lull, and sprint paddle with all you have for the beach. Of course every one of these techniques can fail so learning to ride side ways and brace is well worth mastering. Bracing feels wrong at first because its a natural inclination to lean away from the white water. You gotta lean in to the white water, and I mean lean. Your paddle is way out in the white water and your body weight is toward the white water too. On my prowler I'll even hang my wave side leg off the kayak. Maybe try a few launches and landing without gear to get the feel of it. Mike
taggermike is offline   Reply With Quote