Thread: Rudder or not?
View Single Post
Old 06-03-2008, 11:07 AM   #6
dgax65
Guerro Grande

I've had rudders on all of my kayaks and I would never go back. My first kayak was a Drifter and without the rudder it didn't track very well. Adding the rudder made an instant, noticeable difference. The X-Factor also benefits greatly from the rudder. Any kayak will track better and be more controllable with a rudder.

The most important benefit of having a rudder is that it evens out your paddle strokes. Regardless of the wind, you can maintain a steady, even paddle stroke. This just seems like the most logical arrangement for me. after all; you don't see many twin screw boats that regularly steer by adjusting prop RPM. As far as I'm concerned, that is far more important than any negative factors that might be associated with rudders. I have some serious back problems and also some issues with my right shoulder. Anything that can make my paddle stroke more symmetrical only increases the amount of time I can spend on the water.

I don't think that a rudder system is overly complicated. It is simple mechanically and operationally. Maybe I'm just used to it, but I hardly even think about the rudder when I'm paddling.

You will occasionally get a line hung up on the rudder. I've never had a line get caught in the pulley or the cable attachments, but a couple of times I've managed to snag the cotter pin on the rudder shaft. I think I can eliminate that problem with a little electrical tape and Goop. I wouldn't consider this to be a major problem. I've only had three tangles that I couldn't clear from the seat in several years of use.

Here's an installation tip. Most rudders come with SS cables that have to be crimped in place. If you don't adjust the rudder cable length properly you will have to cut and replace the cable. After I had a cable break, I switched to a small diameter Dyneema line. I used 1.8mm Spyder Line made by New England Ropes. You can buy this line by the foot at West Marine. There are a couple of benefits to using this Dyneema line: it won't corrode or rot; it is strong (350lb tensile strength); there is no stretch; and you can adjust the rudder throw easily by repositioning the knot.