View Single Post
Old 08-04-2020, 06:59 AM   #1
onetriphudson

LJ 7/31 Report and Rescue

We got out last Friday afternoon for a quick session. Had to park a full mile from the beach. The launch was wet, sloppy, and unusually cold. I heard a group of cove swimmers say the water temp was 60, but I checked later and the NOAA buoy said it was 57! Also noticed a monster surf fish (spotfin croaker?) on the launch.

Rescue: After starting to make bait, we got a little past the Bump and noticed a guy clinging on to the side of another fisherman's Pro Angler. Some poor guy had taken on water and his kayak (green Hobie passport?) was submerged about 20 yards away. He had been swimming for a while until another guy came up and discovered him. The gear was floating everywhere and we helped recover his cooler, wheels and bait tank. The lifeguards had already been called and two guys came out on a ski. They tried towing the flipped and floating kayak but ended up just taking the fisherman back to the beach and returning later for the kayak. Before we parted ways, we exchanged numbers to get the gear returned to him but I have not heard back from anyone. This is an attempt to directly reach the guy that flipped (I think his name was Nick and it was his first time out). I have your Hobie wheels and cooler.

Fishing: After the rescue, and strapping down the extra gear, we went back to looking for bait. Scored a tank of greenbacks and jacks and slow trolled around for a couple more hours. Swell got pretty huge around the corner, and that combined with super cold water sort of talked us out of trying too much harder. Ended up with 2 calico, 1 whitefish, 1 rockfish - all released. Landing was a circus with rental kayaks getting absolutely destroyed left and right. Tide was straight up to the triangle. My own landing was less than graceful, no way to time the mixed swell. Ending up surfing one in and almost pearled my PA14. Jumped out, grabbed the bow and glided in backwards.

Beers and tacos.