Thread: Ventura skunk
View Single Post
Old 07-28-2013, 06:37 AM   #1
WildernessWanker
WildernessWanker

Ventura skunk

Report from 7/27/13. Launched from the beach just outside the harbor at 0600 and paddled out with ease to the breakwall. The water was a chilly 60° but smooth as glass so I was still looking forward to a fun day. Got to the breakwall and started throwing a 5" BH red calico hunter on 1oz yellow lead. 3rd cast and I get hit, which perks up my outlook for the day. Turned out to be a short calico, the first of only a handful of bass landed and all short. Paddled outside the harbor and up the coast dragging a chovie only for some short strikes. The water never read warmer than 60° so I wasn't too disappointed with my activity. After an hour or so I was getting tired of the 6' rolling swell and paddled into the marina, at a warm 63°, and went back to the BH. Had a few strikes throwing around the slips but nothing landed and off the water at 1100. It was overcast all day and glass in the harbor so I still had a great day. My highlight was running into a kayaker who paddled up to thank me for our conversation a few weeks back. I was landing my kayak when a SUPer was watching and came up to ask questions about my setup and how I felt about being on a kayak, to which I ranted for almost an hour about how great kayaking is. Well following our conversation she was no longer on the fence about kayaking and raced out to buy a brand new kayak. Even if it was only a bay cruiser and an off-brand, it still made my day.

Sorry no pics, but didn't feel like bragging considering the general luck others are having right now. J/K I soaked my camera last trip and it seems to no longer be functioning appropriately.

Last edited by WildernessWanker; 07-28-2013 at 06:41 AM. Reason: Missing info
WildernessWanker is offline   Reply With Quote