View Single Post
Old 07-25-2014, 06:44 PM   #1
SorryCharlie

LJ 7/25 - BSB trolling me

Was feeling a bit "sick" today, well actually I was feeling "sick" on Wednesday, and told my boss I was planning to be sick today. Hit the water at about 6:20, launch wasn't to bad a bit inconsistent, but timeable.

Just about 10 yards past the reserve and my mirage drive fails.... Well this is a good start. While determining whats going on with the drive I manage to get a few greenies and jerry rig the drive using a hook and some 50lb test. Somehow my quick fix held for the day and it was off to fishing.

Making bait was a challenge today, only managed 4 greenies and some spanish (spanish were around....) Trolled the outside edge of the kelp for the next 4 hours for nada. Oddly enough the sea lions were not the normal bait stealing bas... that they normally are so I was able to make the minimal bait last.

Out of greenies, I hook the only spanish I kept and begin trolling back in, less then 3 minutes later the reel is dumping line, put the reel in gear and were off. I spend the next 20 minutes getting the fish out of the kelp, its making large runs, but no headshakes.... but I'm still hoping its a YT. 40 Minutes into the fight and finally I see color, but its dark and much larger then I anticipated. Shark? Then I see the tail, nope its a BSB. Another 20 minutes of tug of war and the fish is done. Hook removed and 5 minutes of revival and she is ready to rejoin her friends down below again.

First BSB and I could not be more amped! I'm guessing its 100+ lbs, any input from anyone? I'm really interested to know, and it is my first so I'm really just making a random estimate hahaha.
Name:  Black Seabass 7:25:2014.jpg
Views: 1243
Size:  60.8 KB

Name:  Black Seabass 2 7:25:2014.jpg
Views: 1166
Size:  57.4 KB
SorryCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote