Thread: LJ Sunday am
View Single Post
Old 08-11-2008, 11:54 AM   #1
Sherm

LJ Sunday am

Met up with my wingman Spyder on the beach at about 4:10am. I was a little late and Jim was ready to go. I quickly unloaded and we launched the yaks in the dark. We watched the last set go by and in the yaks we went. We paddled hard and made it past the break zone. NOT!!! As I'm paddling toward the open water (in total darkness) I see the faint outline of a swell. OH SH$%!!!!!!!!!!!! Wave!! I yell to Jim as a nice size wave breaks over the front of the yak and slaps me in the chest. The next one was even worse. I've been doing this yak thing for a while now and this is the first time I have had a wave break all the way over the top of my head. The second time I've had one break over my head was the next wave. This one took off the head lamp and ball cap. Luckily they ended up right behind me and I got them back. I look over to see Jim who also got clobbered. The only problem is he wrenched his neck pretty good. We decided to keep going. After all it was just water and some pain for Jim. I knew he would sack up and keep going.

We made it out to the fishing area and started to make bait. I got a good hook up while it was still dark and I thought I had a big flattie on the other end of the line. Bummer...it turned out to be a bat ray instead. It started to get light and a friend on his boat came by and hooked me up with some bait. (big thanks Adi).

We started fishing and about 7am my bottom rig gets hammered. The fight is on and the sliegh ride begins. The fish started to run towards open water and I am horseing this fish as best I can. There are several dogs in the area and I wanted this one yakside before they got it. Suddenly I heard that terrible sound of a sea lion breaching close by for a gulp of air. I looked back and he was heading toward me very rapidly. I kept grinding on the fish and got him close enough to make a wild swing with the gaff. I caught the YT in the back towards the tail and swung him onboard just about the time old knot head passes under the yak. Kiss my ass you old fur bag!!! This one belongs to me.

I lit up a victory cigar and got back in the game. I had one more good knock down. But that was the only fish for the day. Jim turned out to be the bat ray king that day landing two big ones that pulled him around pretty good. Keep at it Jim...we'll get your first one soon.

Hit the beach around 10am and headed for home. It was a beautiful day on the water and the company wasn't bad either. Hope your neck feels better today Jimbo.

Attached Thumbnails

Sherm is offline   Reply With Quote