View Single Post
Old 01-08-2010, 04:50 PM   #19
Tman
BRTF...bought & paid...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimm H View Post
emrliquidlife: to answer your question about landing a T, you fight it until you can get it to the boat AND be able to grab its tail. Put the clicker on, and thumb the reel as you take it out of gear. If the shark is still green, it will swim back down (hence, the reel out of gear). If its tire, you grab the tail and lift it up vertically. When a thresher hangs, its organs compress and it can't breath or fight.

I suggest you use 12 ft. of 80 lb mono for your leader (if you hook a mako, it'll bight right thru that, saving it from biting thru you). Threshers also can't leave Rapalas alone. I've had live bait and a rapala on two rigs and they almost always take the rapala. Take off all but the back treble to keep from hooking it by the tail.

Hopefully, you only catch one each year, as they provide a ton of meat, but do not reproduce quickly. Remember, the ones we see inshore are small.
Agreed...all of mine have been with Rapalas, and it makes it easier to wrangle them in, since they do tail slaps at potential bait. Pull the tail up, and tuck it under your arm to avoid getting tail whacked, and play the waiting game.

I bleed them from the yak, but Yani took it to a new level...

Tman
Gaffer for Clay the Fishcatcher
Tman is offline   Reply With Quote