View Single Post
Old 07-14-2014, 04:55 PM   #1
chris138
donkey roper

Unassisted YFT From the Kayak!!!

Got your attention? The unassisted so-cal kayak tuna has always been a dream of mine. Looks like this year may be my chance to make it a reality. YFT are on the 9. I am planning on attempting the feat this Saturday. My thought is that this will be mostly a paddling trip, while trolling raps and maybe cedar plugs. I will be taking a prowler 15, minimally rigged for weight savings. Not sure if I will try to bring live bait or not. Probably launch from la jolla around 3am and head due west about 8-10 miles. Troll around the bank a bit, eat a hearty lunch, and start heading in around 11:00-12:00.

Are there any seasoned, salty, and physically fit people on the board who would be interested in making this journey? I may or may not have a chase boat available. I will have a GPS, VHF and PFD, maybe a flare-gun. Depending on the current we may need to land in another part of the county and shuttle back to LJ, but my plan is to return to the shores. Hoping for west wind and a decent swell to bring me home!

Before the naysayers start telling me about how dangerous the ocean is and how I might die, save it. I know the risks and have done a lot more dangerous things than this, like riding my bicycle to work for instance.

I'm looking for able bodied and highly experienced paddlers here. If you are interested, PM me or reply to this thread.
chris138 is offline   Reply With Quote