View Single Post
Old 10-18-2014, 07:55 AM   #1
Iceman
Administrator

10/17 DP yellowtail

I launched from the boat ramp at 6:30, I pay the extra $10 to use the head and shorten my paddle. I heard the bait barge had good sardines, but planned to make mackerel as well. With all the boats launching to fish offshore I was contemplating skipping the line, but it was only 3 boats ahead of me. Got a killer yak scoop of feisty dines and headed north out of the harbor. Slight offshore breeze made for an easy paddle out in the new Jackson Kayak Kraken.

I had easily rigged up a livewell, but no fish finder. This had me scanning the surface more and I started baby sitting the big bait balls that rolled through. I got ripped a few times on the fly line and finally landed a boney. Finally sardine was picked up and running hard, popped it in gear and felt like a yellow right from the start. As I am fighting this fish my dropper loop goes off and I pop it into gear and whatever it was pops off. Stoked at color to see my first Orange County YT circling below. He spooked at the boat and ran down a bit, but not much fight left back up for the gaff and in the boat. Stoked! I hung around hoping for another shot, but only a few more bonito rips on the flyline and scuffed a nd scraped dropper loop. Happy paddle in, been wanting a yellowtail up here for a long time, but have honestly never targeted them specifically until now. Viva El Nino! Not a monster, but plenty of room for an upgrade!