View Single Post
Old 06-11-2012, 04:26 PM   #41
Aaron&Julie

I will retract some of what I said, and apologize for any implication he wasn't being truthful. It just seemed to me he was selling a product, more so by not showing us any photo of any legals he caught. His previous post showed a very impressive 'but (congrats), but it wasn't caught touting what he recently used.
I misread his original post, and do believe he was talking about releasing 100 lbs "worth" of halibut.
Julie and I have had a day or two in the Bay, where we caught 25+ halibut combined using live 'dines, although the legals were about 1 in 10, so many babies were caught. I don't doubt a person can catch 30-40, maybe even more of the small ones, especially using a motorized boat covering much more ground.
As someone noted his technique isn't applicable here, but other methods can be done resembling what he did. A kayaker just can't cover the ground he can in his boat.
Before getting excited about the wide open SD Bay bite going on, let it be known, it's often like that, in particular areas on small 'buts. There are lots of babies throughout the bay and sometimes they stack up.
This is a kayak fishing website though. Keptman, although you don't seem to have a camera you trust out on the water, perhaps your information would be more beneficial to "us guys/gals" here if you showed us a photo of this spoon, and how you rigged it. I doubt downriggers are going to be used by any kayaker, but ball bouncing with your lure may be fruitful for somebody. Thanks.

Aaron