View Single Post
Old 03-31-2020, 06:34 PM   #4
TJones

hello, and welcome aboard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle_Tomas View Post
There are other users on this forum who know a lot more than I do when it comes to fish finders and how to read different marks on your unit but I thought I will try answer anyways..
Luckily for you, when it comes to targeting rock fish, you are not really looking for specific fish marks necessarily but structure (pile of rocks, wrecks, drop offs). Any bottom features that attract fish. Flat bottom wonÂ’t hold any rock fish. You are also looking for hard bottom, that typically shows in yellow color, soft bottom typically shows red.
You also need to be mindful of depth you are fishing in. Some places are different than others but you probably want to start around 100Â’ and go from there (deeper). (You canÂ’t fish deeper than 450 though).
If you donÂ’t know the area you are planning to fish that well, Navionics Webb app allows you to look at charts of the entire coast which is super helpful when doing you homework the night before. You might able to spot different bottom features using google maps as well.
There were some rock fish reports from NB I believe not too long ago, look for those. Other good rock fish spots are La Jolla and Redondo. The advantage of these places is that they get deep fast and you donÂ’t need to paddle 10 miles to find rocks or drop offs.
I am sure others will chime in as well.
what he said. like mentioned above, try google earth. try to punch those coordinates into your unit. you can also just google hots pots for your area across the web and see what comes up. there are books you can buy or a general map from your local tackle store with some basic coordinates to start off with. good luck.
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote