View Single Post
Old 03-04-2010, 10:02 PM   #1
DESTROYER

New Personal Best:)

Finally got a window to go out this last Monday. I showed up to the launch at 5:10 AM and I was the only person there. I thought to myself, "am I at the right place, this is La Jolla right?". 5 minutes later Billy V. drives up. We chat for awhile I decide not to wait for him because he has to go to the head and am geeking to go fishing. I made it out dry with some nice sneaker sets. The swell was pretty big. I get out to my spot and throw down a glow in the dark with squid on it and toss it into the rod holder. A drifted for for about 10 minutes while Yo-Yoing for nothing. There was really good signs of bait so I thought I would stay in that spot for awhile. 5 minutes later a big pod of porpoise come charging through and go right under my boat. The bait must of spooked because it was a desert under me. I winded up my lines and made a short paddle to deeper water. I came across another bait school so I dropped down the glow in the dark and began yo-yoing again. About 30 minutes into my fishing session, I see 3 big marks under the bait so I dropped down the Salas 6xJr...boom hits the bottom...3 cranks...boom, fish on! At first I thought it was a Sand Bass because it hit so softly, then zzzzzzzzzzz. I knew right away after that it was the right kind. I took my time loosened the drag a little because WSB have soft mouths and I was using 20lb. mono. The fish fought nice for several minutes until it hit about 60 feet of water and then gave up. Couldn't believe my eyes, it was an absolute SLUG, by far the biggest WSB I have ever laid my eyes on. I gaffed it gently right below the gills and game clipped her. Un-F#&%-believable! Thanks for the picture Billy...made it back to the launch by 7:00 AM...So Stoked!

57.8 #
Name:  Matt2.jpg
Views: 1339
Size:  49.7 KB

Name:  DSCF1096.jpg
Views: 1338
Size:  75.3 KB

Name:  DSCF1106.jpg
Views: 1307
Size:  114.9 KB
DESTROYER is offline   Reply With Quote