Thread: Eastern Sierras
View Single Post
Old 07-13-2020, 12:24 PM   #1
Fishon14

Eastern Sierras

Was finally able to go to the Eastern Sierras with my kayak. Loaded up the trailer and the car and got on the road about 3 am Thursday morning. Couldn’t check into our camp site at 4 Jefferies on the Bishop Loop until 2pm. So we hit Intake 2 and Lake Sabrina for a few hours, caught a few stockers and a small brook trout. Loaded the kayaks back on the trailer and went to the campground to unload the car. After getting the campsite was dialed in, headed up to North Lake. Fished until sundown for a few rainbows and a small brown trout. The mosquitoes were thick around North Lake. Once on the water they didn’t bother you, but getting to the water and leaving they were hungry. Went back to the campground and made dinner and planned the next day’s adventure. We decided to head up to Mammoth in the morning. Started to fishing Lake Mamie, I have always loved this lake. With the Kayaks it was some much more accessible. The fishing was slow in Mamie, so put the kayaks on the dollies and moved over to Lake Mary. Found a few larger trout in the logs near the outlet. I hooked and land a nice one on a Heavyweight mini jig (yellow and white). Fished the same area at the outlet, after lunch. We had our opportunities but the fish won their freedom. Went by Rick’s Tackle in Mammoth and weight my fish, 6 pounds 4 oz. my new personal best trout. Started heading back to our campsite in Bishop, but decided to stop and checkout Convict Lake. Didn’t catch any at Convict, fished the inlet and watched an eagle catch his dinner. The plan was to fish Lake Sabrina on Saturday morning. Launched the kayaks at the boat ramp and made our way back to the inlet. We caught several trout at the inlet. Chris caught a nice trout about 2 pounds, it made losing that bigger fish much less painful. Stopped by Cardinal Village to say to the owners and catch up with old friends. Hiked up to the old gold mine and the waterfall behind the village. Went back to the campsite and cooked some trout for dinner and had some beers by the fire. Sunday morning packed up the car and swung by Cardinal Village for some breakfast burrito’s for the drive home. There are some issues with some the hatcheries in California and the trout plants will be limited until they get the problem fixed. Had a great time and will be heading back up in August with the family.
Attached Images

Fishon14 is offline   Reply With Quote