View Single Post
Old 08-14-2008, 04:50 PM   #22
THE DARKHORSE

I agree.....

QUOTE BY: FOREFRAZIER
for me personally after seeing the dodo size out of NPH half way to CAT yesterday on a 3/4 day trip, I would pass. Exotics are cool..but 20-30 mi. of paddling/pedaling just to say you caught a 3-5lb dorito off a paddy is not for me. By the way, lots of schools yesterday but not much biting. Finding the right paddy in a PB is one thing...... having to "paddy hop" in a yak to find the biters after it took you 6 hours to get there...PRICELESS!

I agree with you half way, but from my experience when you see Doritio's around, keep looking. Sometimes it's only little guys, but you never know. More than likely a couple of bulls are close by, with the possability of Tuna, and Marlin love those little things.

I'm one of the lucky few to have already caught a Dorado "unassisted from a kayak", some say it was the "first ever". I'm guessing an Indian in a wooden boat took one off Black's for that title, many many years ago, but I'll take it.

Catching a 5 lb Dorado isn't my goal, but few things can compare to the beauty of seeing a Dorado below the kayak. I'm a C and R guy by nature, so I will pull out the 12 lb Shimano Chronarch set-up with the circle hooks, if that's all I can find. As far as the school having lock jaw with 60 guys on a sportie, giant twin diesel engines thumping, tossing sardines, or a pile of boats trying to get them to go, "no comparison to the stealth of a kayak". I've seen a sportie drift a paddie a few times, while chumming hard, and not one biter out of the group. Then we stay back a while (waiting in the skiff), chunk a little, and troll well outside working in, to find a WFO bite.

Last edited by THE DARKHORSE; 08-14-2008 at 11:30 PM.
THE DARKHORSE is offline   Reply With Quote