View Single Post
Old 01-24-2022, 01:53 AM   #11
JohnMckroidJr

Reviewing 2021 off SE Florida

2021 logged 51 trips which are the most/yr since I started kayak fishing in 2014. Lacking any new species, personal bests, African Pompano, Cobia, Grouper, and generally less big fish of all species, 2021 was less satisfying. Florida is blessed with a huge variety of species, below is a sample of some taken on the kayak last year.

2021 was the first year that I took a Jumbo(12-32lb) Blackfin Tuna on a Yozuri minnow. Prior years harvest was 6-10 months of the year, 2021 had Blackfin every month, though most were small footballs.

2021 was the first full year investing significant time with slow pitch jigs. They are deadly – easier to hook fish and incapacitating when multiple hooks sink in creating a tractor beam effect. They produced my first double on Blackfin tuna.

Many SE kayak anglers have not taken an Atlantic Bonita, they are taken during the colder months, usually down deep with a vertical jig.

Little Tunny AKA False Albacore is one of the most abundant species in SE Florida. Most Floridians call them Bonito as the Atlantic Bonito are less common. They are considered excellent bait and poor table fare. Sometimes during the summer, they get so thick that one can get hit every other drop for hours on end using a vertical jig. Thanks to Fisherman’s Belly, I tried Little Tunny Poke. Since then I started harvesting them periodically for Poke – Delicious!

In 2021 I missed the April spawn but landed a few big Amberjacks throughout the year. Having swallowed the hook, one was harvested, a half dozen released.

Unlike the monster Almaco Jacks mistakenly called Amberjacks off Panama, The Almacos taken off SE Florida are mostly 3-8lbs with a big one being 15+lbs. Almacos are distinguished from Amberjacks by the larger hooked second dorsal fin.

Yellow Jacks are the most colorful of the Jacks taken off Florida. They are typically 1-6lbs with a big one being over 15lbs. They are good eating.

Bar Jacks can be good eating if they are harvested away from sewage outfalls where they are known to feed on the particulate. They rarely get over a pound and are my go-to backup bait when Goggle Eyes, Speedos, Small Little Tunnies, and Blue Runners are scarce.

Rainbow Runners are one of the most colorful fish taken off Florida. Most are only a few pounds and a big one is over 10lbs.

Barracudas are a sure-fire catch on a deep trolled bait off anywhere that has wrecks in 100ft. They are frequently a spoiler catch and a means of preventing a skunk trip.

Barracudas mauled more catches than sharks did in 2021.

2021 was another slow year for Dolphin fish, so much so that FWC is planning to drop the limit from 10 fish per person to 5 fish per person and from 60 fish per vessel to 30 fish limit per vessel. The Gulf steam where 60 fish limits are sometimes taken is out of kayak range. Any day a kayaker gets one is a nice day, and Last year was only a few.

Typically catch four sails over the course of the year on stinger rigs while targeting other species. In 2021, I had half that but took my first sail on a fresh squid.

Spanish Macks are a nuisance fish while targeting bait before sunrise. They will destroy a sabiki in minutes and re-rigging in the dark consumes precious bait fishing time.

In 2021 I started making my own wire leader assist hooks for vertical jigs and it paid off. The top right bit off spectra assist is what can happen when only one of the two assists is made with wire.

In 2021 I invest more time using tuna tubes – fishing Little Tunny to target trophy fish. I did not connect with any big monsters like in 2020 but did find some nicer-grade King Mackerel.

Wahoo is the Holy Grail for most SE Florida offshore Kayak anglers. Although 2021Â’s hoo was my smallest to date, I was still stoked to land one.
JohnMckroidJr is offline   Reply With Quote